- Graduated from a Top-10 (now #7) Architectural School at the University of Southern California (USC).
- Studied Architecture in Rome, Florence, Milan and Lake Como, Italy for a semester in 1991 as part of USC’s first Winter Semester program.
- Received a Certification in Project Management from Learning Tree University by attending classes at 3 of their campuses. This Adult Learning campus is no closed, but I learned a lot.
- Took 1.5 years of introductory Real Estate, Accounting & Finance courses at UCLA.
“This was a strong suggestion to get into Grad School, thus I went to ucla.”, to strengthen the areas that I was not taught in Architecture School.
- Graduated from the Top Masters of Real Estate Development (MRED) program in the nation at the University of Southern California. “Either become a Trojan or work for one,” I was told.
- Studied Real Estate Development opportunities by traveling to Asia in 2004 with the USC MRED program for 3 weeks in Seoul, Shanghai & Kuala Lumpur.
- Has presented his “Expanding Your Friendship Circle: The Fundamentals of Networking for Young Professionals” Presentation seminar on the USC Campus about a dozen times if now more.
- Have been a Guest lecturer to share my presentation on the “Commercial Development Process in LA”, at USC, UCLA and also Pepperdine University multiple times.
- Typically mentors 2-6 USC Students each year in multiple USC programs, more recently through the “First Generation Program” or the USC Marshall Career Advancement Program (CAP). I will always give back to USC Alumni.
Top 100 Things that make MD3 Unique?
When I meet new people and start to tell my personal stories I typically get complimented and told that “I am a very interesting person…” As I move on in my life, I frequently think back at what I was able to accomplish simply by setting goals and just going for it. This list of things that make MD3 Unique is meant to make me feel good about myself and to hopefully motivate others to also live a full and complete life whatever your personal goals may be.
- Summer internship in 1988 with Daniel, Mann, Johnson & Mandenhal (DMJM) the world’s largest Architecture & Engineering firm at the time (which has now morphed into AECOM). I was part of the 10 person International Architectural Design Team within a company of Thousands, to design incredible projects, that helped launched my career.
- Summer internship in 1989 with the State of California Office of Emergency Service partnering with FEMA to inspect buildings for Earthquake preparedness all over LA County.
- Applied and sent resumes to Walt Disney Imagineering for 5 straight years before I got my first interview, then first job, launching my theme park design career that lasted a decade designing 9 different theme park projects around the world.
- Spent a Decade designing Theme Parks, Hotels and Resorts around the World working for companies such as Walt Disney Imagineering, Universal Studios, Warner Bros, Landmark Entertainment Group on projects in Las Vegas, Paris, Tokyo, Osaka, Orlando, Dubai, Wuhan and Anaheim, thus most projects were outside of the US.
- Has been a Licensed Architect in the State of California since 1998, the first or 2nd from my USC graduating class.
- For a one year in 1994, was the Assistant Construction Manager on the Construction of a 34,600 Sq.Ft. 12 bedroom, 21-bathroom mansion in Bel Air complete with a 2-lane bowling alley and a theater for 30 people.
- Has been a Licensed General Contractor since 2009.
- Received his Real Estate Broker’s license in January 2012. Placed my license with Keller Williams Beach Cities Realty in December 2012. Great Real Estate firm but residential Brokerage was Not for me.
- Is an experienced Real Estate Developer with creative and project management involvement in projects and properties in many states, predominately for RTI Properties. At the time, we had projects in 12 states.
- Has certified Tom Hopkins “Sales Training” from multiple seminars.
- Became licensed to sell Life Insurance and Investments (Series 6 & 63) and worked part-time for 3 years for Primerica Financial Services.
- Ran a Downtown LA Bar/Restaurant as General Manager and Promoter called the FAR BAR in Little Tokyo. Only a few years later, that same bar was ranked the Number one bar in LA, per LA Weekly.
- Promoted and Marketed High-End Wine Trade Tasting Commercial and Consumer Events from San Francisco to San Diego for “LearnAboutWine.com” a wine Education Company. Achieved the status of “Junior Sommelier”.
- Has traveled to 4 of 5 continents (North & South America, Europe & Asia, sorry Africa).
- Had traveled to 25 Countries and 38 States by age 42. Slightly more since.
- Had a mailing address while living in Lake Como, Italy, before George Clooney.
- When I returned home from living in Italy back in 1991, I had a 3 day stop over in New York City, where I got to attend a “Ticker Tape” military parade down Broadway after the Persian Gulf war.
- Has traveled to Asia twice to China (twice), Korea & Malaysia.
- Spent almost a month traveling around Colombia, South America in 1995, visiting the cities of Bogota, Medellin, and Cartagena.
- In Medellin, Colombia my girlfriend and I were guests of a Colonel of the Colombian Army and his wife. We enjoyed time at the Officers Club where we discussed America’s dependence on drugs until I asked too many questions.
- Learned two Foreign Languages (Spanish and Italian) but not fluently so don’t ask.
- While a USC Freshman, lived with three Football and one Basketball player. One roommate was Reggie Smith, Jr. son of Dodger great Reggie Smith.
- Served as the Vice President of College Fairs for the Student Committee On Admissions and Recruitment (SCoar) where he and his committee visited high schools and junior colleges all over LA County to discuss being a current Trojan.
- Served on the Trojan GOLD (Graduates Of the Last Decade) Executive Board.
- Served as the Club President of the USC Alumni Club of the San Fernando Valley, for 3 years
- Served as the Club President of the USC Alumni Club of North Orange County.
- Served as a Board Member of the USC Orange County Regional Board.
- While serving as USC Club President, our USC Club won: the USC Widney Alumni House Award, Networking Award, Increased Membership Award, Best Use of Technology Award and Most Parental Involvement Award.
- Served on the USC Alumni Club of the LA Beach Cities as Professional Networking Chair and VP of Membership.
- For 5 years, served as the youngest Club President of the Trojan Coaches Club.
- Has only missed 5 USC Home Football Games since 1987.
- Has attended ALL of the USC Home Football Games from 1993-2011 (18 years).
- Has been given a sideline pass at the Coliseum during USC games multiple times.
- Traveled to 13 states now including the following cities just to watch USC play Football: Tucson, Temple, Palo Alto, Berkeley, Corvallis, Seattle, Honolulu, Miami, New York City…
- When the USCAA Disbanded all 45 US based Alumni clubs, I Founded 4 Unofficial USC clubs in the South Bay of Los Angeles, San Diego, Bay Area and Mavi, Hawai.
- Father is from Brooklyn, New York & Mother is from Sioux City, Iowa. Pretty odd?
- In 1981 traveled with my family of six around the entire United States for 5 weeks covering 27 states, Mexico and Canada, in a 4-door sedan. My family knew so many people that we only stayed in hotels for 4 nights.
- Drew his family’s house floor plan to scale in grade 5 with no formal training.
- Won his first Blue Ribbon in the California State Fair in grade 8 for architectural floor plans of a Type V – Residential home.
- Won his Silver Ribbon in the California State Fair in grade 9 (but in the High School competition) for drawing plans and building a 1-inch scale house model.
- Created his own Lawn Care business from age 13 to 18 funding his college fund. Earned over $6K.
- Had spinal surgery at age 17 where “I grew 3 inches in 5 hours”. He still has a 12-inch long ¼ inch stainless steel rod in his back.
- Spent a full decade serving as a Volunteer Leader at the Los Angeles JUNIOR Chamber of Commerce (LAJCC), starting in 1998.
- Was named Board of Director of the Year at the LAJCC in 2001.
- Recruited 90+ people to volunteer to pass out water and drinks at the Mile 3 mark of the Los Angeles Marathon in 2002, his 3rd year volunteering.
- Received the Excellence in Fundraising Award from the LAJCC in 2003.
- Was chosen as the 78th President of the Los Angeles JUNIOR Chamber of Commerce as the very first successful write-in candidate in 2003. Ceremony was held at Los Angeles City Hall, Council Chambers.
- Gave out the $810,000 winning check to the Mike Weir, Winner of the Nissan Open Golf Tournament on the 18th hole in 2003. Our family now has 3 Nissan Open checks in our garage.
- For several years as a LAJCC Officer, months prior to the Nissan Open Golf Tournament, I was given a Brand New Nissan automobile to use for free for 3-4 months.
- In 2006, received the Robert M. Mcintyre Leadership Award their highest honor from the LAJCC.
- In 2007, received the Past Officers and Directors Associations (POADA) Distinguished Service Award from the LAJCC.
- Spent a decade as a Volunteer Leader for the Nissan Open Golf Tournament at the Rivera Country Club, for the following committees: Player Transportation, Security, Hospitality, Community Relations and Corporate Relations, typically volunteering up to 70 hours that week, yet I have still not developed a true passion for the game of golf.
- Spent a decade as a Volunteer Leader of the Largest High School Athletic Competition in the Nation, called the “LA Watts Summer Games”. Served as the Chairman of both the Wrestling & Baseball committee.
- Received the LA Watts Summer Games highest honor, the William E. Sims Award in 2005.
- Served as the first 3-year term Chairman of the entire LA Watts Summer Games.
- Was interviewed four different times on various local cable TV access shows to promote the LA Watts Summer Games and ULI UrbanPlan programs that both helped inner-city youth in Los Angeles.
- Served on the Los Angeles AREA Chamber of Commerce Board in 2004-2005.
- Served as “Principal for the Day” four times for LAUSD Schools.
- Served on the Land Use, Construction & Housing (LUCH) Committee for 2 years.
- Was a graduate and graduation Speaker of the 3-month Los Angeles Police Department’s Community Policing Academy
- For two years, volunteered as a student mentor at Weigand Elementary in Watts working with their Best and Worst students developing programs.
- Served as the Arts District Business Improvement District (BID) Board Treasurer for 3 years.
- Served on the Executive Committee of the Urban Land Institute of Los Angeles multiple years.
- Served on the ULI-LA Technical Assistance Panel (TAP) for both the USC University Village and Ports O’Call Village in San Pedro.
- Served on the UrbanPlan Committee for 5 years as Chairman or Co-Chair. As a UrbanPlan Coach his teams won “Best Oral Presentation” or “Best Overall”.
- Served on the Men’s Guild of the Los Angeles Children’s Hospital several years.
- Completed the Los Angeles Fire Department’s Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program including First-Aid & CPR training.
- Was Jaycee of the Month, for the Burbank Jaycees in 2001.
- Voted in to the California Jaycees Tigers Association in 2013.
- Volunteered to paint the Rose Bowl Field for the National Championship Football game in 2002, Miami vs. Nebraska. Saw the game for only 1/3 the ticket price.
- Volunteered several years as a young adult preparing Rose Bowl parade floats in Burbank and Pasadena.
- Lead a group of 32 volunteers at Pacific Mariners Yacht Club that designed and built a Holiday Boat parade entry that won the “Best Sailboat” award in 2011 in Marina del Rey.
- Lead Volunteers from the South Bay Trojans where I designed and Created the “Best Powerboat over 40 feet” at the King Harbor Boat Parade in 2021 with a Ferris Wheel and in 2022 with a Sea Monster.
- Wrote a yet to be published book entitled “In the Service of Others: The Art of Volunteer Leadership”
- Met his Wife in Watts, California during the 2000 LA Watts Summer Games on a football field.
- Lived at the beach in Playa del Rey for almost a decade with 90-degree ocean view only a few hundred years from the crashing waves achieving a bucket list goal.
- He is a Certified SCUBA Diver. Has dove in both California and Hawaii.
- He is a Certified Ocean Sailor, American Sailing Association (ASA-101 & 103).
- After 4 years on the Board, he worked his way up to serving as the Rear Commodore of the Pacific Mariners Yacht Club (PMYC) in Marina Del Rey.
- As Membership Chairman at PMYC over two years, he recruited almost 60 new members to the yacht club of only 180+ members.
- Has flown in a Leer Jet and many other small private planes.
- Graduated from Bartending School in 1992 when Architecture career did not take off due to terrible economy and briefly bartended in Downtown LA.
- Has a Wine Executive certification for his wine tasting abilities by passing the BAR Exam (Beverage Aptitude Review) from LAW School (Learn About Wine).
- Has been an invited guest at the private “Club 33” at Disneyland.
- Has been a guest at the Magic Castle in Hollywood, twice.
- Partied with Dennis Rodman and several members of the “Apprentice” TV Show at the Tao Night Club in Las Vegas in 2007.
- Was invited and attended a fundraiser party at the Playboy Mansion in 2008.
- Along with his daughter Chloe, then not even a year old, and wife Kim, was in a Doritos Super Bowl TV Commercial entitled “Responsible Snacker” that sadly was not chosen to be aired during the game.
- Preformed his first Standup Comedy routine in November 2011 at Comedy Night at PMYC. Opened for LA comedian legend Frazer Smith.
- Was the personal guest of California State Controller, John Chiang to attend the 2008 Holiday Bowl in San Diego as his VIP suite in the luxury box, complete with Highway Patrol Chauffeur to the game, over 2 hours away.
- In 2003, had a private tour of Hockey Legend Wayne Gretzky’s mansion in Lake Sherwood, just prior to completion and handover.
- Actually met and had photographs with the following celebrities.
- a. Comedian Dan Ackroyd b. Founder of Paul Mitchell, John Paul DeJoria c. Head Football Coach Pete Carroll d. Dodger Legend Tommy Lasorda e. Former USC President, Dr. Steven Sample f. Current USC President, C.L. Max Nikias g. Reverend Jessie Jackson
- Japan: MD3 has designed not one but two theme parks in Japan, Tokyo Disney Seas and Universal Studios Japan in Osaka. MD3 has been to Asia twice. MD3’s parents hosted Japanese exchange students with 2 girls from Tokyo in the Fall then 2 boys from Osaka in the Spring for over a decade consisting of almost 50 exchange students. MD3 hosted a Japanese college student from Osaka in 1995. MD3 is married to a 3rd generation Japanese-American women. Yet MD3 has never been to Japan… Yet!